Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Clothing and Fears

The first time I lost weight, I remember my weight watcher leader telling us to get rid of all of our fat clothes. "That way," she said "you won't have any clothes to grow back into." I took her advice, and It felt good (no - great) to get rid of the fat clothes. Of course, I eventually ended up having to buy a whole new wardrobe in several sizes as all the weight came back (and then some). While I do love to shop, this is a very expensive habit. I also got rid of my clothes as I began to gain all the weight back, because, honestly, it was depressing to see them hanging in my closet. I felt as if they were taunting me. I'll see pictures (from whenever in my journey - losing and gaining weight) and actually miss pieces of clothing and kick myself for getting rid of them. Who has that kind of closet space though? Not me.

Now, once again, I currently have a pile of clothes that are too big for me. They've been laying on the floor by my closet for the last 3 weeks. Some of them, whether too big or not, just need to go. Some of them, though? I love. So, I'm now at an impasse as to what to do with them. Storage? Goodwill? Ceremonial burning? Through all of this, I used to tell my husband that there are probably some pudgy drag queens who shop at Goodwill who think I'm their savior.

I very much look forward to being at my goal weight (to be determined), and being able to buy quality, tailored to my (very pear-shaped at any size) body, clothes that will last me for a long time.

I am scared that I'll jinx myself if I throw away that pile of clothes....

5 comments:

  1. Put them in a rubbermaid container and store them somewhere. get it out of your bedroom. that's my advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it hurts to store some of your favorites. That way when you're feeling some need for motivation, you can go back to them, compare them to your NEW fabulous size (whatever that may be) and have a very visual reminder of why you're never going back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I'm wearing jeans that I can take off without undoing the fly... because I'm afraid that if I buy pants that actually fit, I'll jinx myself and gain all the weight back. I might try Erin's idea of putting some of my clothes in a rubbermaid container and throwing them in the basement. Better than leaving them in the closet. Not as drastic as taking them to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My only issue is that we really don't have much storage space. We have a little shed outside, but it's pretty full with Christmas stuff. Also, I fear storing clothes out there because of my irrational spider phobia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you considered tailoring some of your favorites? Cheaper than buying new clothes...

    ReplyDelete