Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Doctor Follow Up

So, as I mentioned in my first post, 5 months ago my doctor wanted me to start insulin. I (finally) went in for a follow-up appointment on Monday. Back in November, my A1C (measure of your blood sugar averages over 2-3 months) was 9.5%. The ADA recommends that it be under 7. My doctor wants it under 6.5. This is what the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends (thanks, coeditor, Andrea!).

This week, my A1C tested at 7.5%. This is a significant drop from just 5 months ago (2 of which I wasn't being exactly healthy). He says that he wants to see me back in 6 months (instead of 3), and that we'll be looking at reducing my medications at that point. This is one of my long-term goals, so I'm very excited about that! Also excited about not having to start insulin! He said all of my other levels were in the healthy range (liver enzymes, kidney function, blood pressure, LDL and HDL cholesterol). That is also a great improvement from a few months ago. Very excited! I've used a lot of exclamation points in this post. Heh.

1 comment: