Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Oh, hai!

Don't let the lolspeak in the title fool you. I'm a grammar nerd except for when it comes to lolcatz. They are cute and furry, and they are allowed a grammar pass.

Anyway, I created this blog a few weeks ago. I suppose I should finally post something, eh? Where to start? It's kind of hard to sum up your story in a single blog entry, but I'll try to get everyone who doesn't already know me up to speed.

My story starts like so many others. I've been overweight (let's face it - obese) for most of my life. I remember being on weight watchers with my mother when I was 8 years old. I'm pretty sure that's a legal form of torture these days. Especially back then-I mean the weight watcher bread in the 80s? You might as well just eat the bag. It was that tasty. Thank goodness we've come so far in the development of healthier foods. More on this later.

I've had several false starts over the years where I lost a few pounds, but then something happened to derail me (something minor usually, but a few traumas too). In 2004, at the age of 29 (you're doing math now, aren't you?). I started weight watchers. It was kind of on a whim really. I didn't even seem that invested in it. It seems that was the trick for me because in a year and a half, I lost 100 pounds. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 25 due to my weight. After I lost this weight (even though I was still "obese" by those archaic BMI charts), I was no longer diabetic.

Right after I hit my 100-pound lost mark, I got downsized out of my job that I'd held for 7 years. No worries, it turns out that I ended up with a much better job! However, it did throw me out of my routines, and I'm a very routine-driven gal. I managed to hold my weight for over a year and half, but I was truly stuck.

At this time, I was working out hardcore: spinning classes, kickboxing, pilates. As it turns out, I simply wasn't eating enough calories to sustain my activities. This is why my body wasn't letting go of any more weight (even though I felt I had another 60-70 pounds to lose). I, like many others, had a hard time grasping the fact that you have to eat enough or your body will go into starvation.

I eventually got frustrated, and made the biggest mistake of my life: I gave up. I gained all 100 pounds back and also about 70 more. Diabetes came back and brought along its friend hypertension. I was on more medications than ever before. I flailed around in this state for at least a couple of years. Five months ago, my doctor wanted me to start on insulin. This was simply a road I was not ready to go down-particularly at such a young age. I watched my mother go through this. I watched her get both of her big toes amputated, and learn how to walk again. It took me a couple of months to get my act together, but I finally started back on a healthy road in January.

This time, I got my metabolism tested. It is, of course, high because of my weight, but it is also 300 calories higher than someone else of a similar weight. All those formulas you can find to test your RMR (resting metabolic rate) are based on averages. For most people, they work. For me, they did not (it was one of the many things I'd tried in the past). I'll go into more details about my plan later. I am still trying to keep this brief (fail). Long story short-I think something has finally clicked with me again. I have lost 26 pounds so far (maybe more - I weigh in tomorrow).

This will be mostly about my weight loss, but as my title (and probably my writing) suggests, I get distracted easily. I'm also a geek for pop culture, fashion, and beauty products, to name a few. So, that's the (sort of) brief version of my story. More to come. I plan to post often, so stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a story... I'm sure you are not the only one who has gone through similar situations. Glad you are back in it to win it. YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, girl.

    You're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a beautiful person, jen, inside and out. it is a battle everyday to find that balance with food and exercise and to sustain it, but if there is anyone who can do it, i know you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, now i can comment! Can't wait to be with you through this, and celebrate with you and Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty sure I found your blog through Jack Sh*t's blog, I clicked on it because your hair cut was cute and I like your glasses :)

    Amazing background--you have come such a long way and I'm glad to have found your blog to help cheer you along!

    I know about diabetes, both of my parents have/had it. It's scary but good to know through diet, exercise and weight loss it can be maintained, or in your case, reversed!

    ReplyDelete